Wednesday, October 31, 2012

In the Spirit of Halloween
1st grade cyclops
I had to laugh when my evaluator came from the UK and watched me teach in my 1st grade classroom.  He later said in his very polite Welsh accent, "I don't really think that small children are your strong suit."  I couldn't agree more.  I often have to remind myself when my 1st graders are eating my supplies or copying my every line drawn that there was a reason I chose secondary education and that evaluation just proves that point.  
4-eyed 3-mouthed vomiting alien

The Scariest of All....Frankenmom
This is what I feel like when I wake up
I love watching the enthusiasm that my 1st graders have, but it is the sheer chaos they can cause and vampire-like ability to suck every last living drop of energy I have from my body.  In Ghana, kindergarten is controlled with the cane and I understand why even though I do not agree with this.  They are wild and the culture doesn't support alternative methods of discipline. So after one very rough day, I needed an outlet and aliens were the answer. I taught them something new...fantasy. They worked diligently on crayon resist aliens with multiple eyes, mouths, and vomit that actually made me laugh. I was silently celebrating the horror of Halloween vicariously through my little monsters. Touche 1st grade, touche!

My friend Pam asked me if I was going to dress up today.  This too, made me laugh. If I dressed up as anything today, I think it would label me as a true freak...not to deny that I am, but it just wouldn't go well here.  In fact, I thought of  all the ramifications of me dressing up.  The local exorcists would likely pay me a visit as well as the animist shaman. Not only I, but my host family would likely be cursed.  And I am certain that I would give a new reason for babies to be afraid of me.  

Reminds me of the local masks
which are usually to scare away evil 
But silently, in my head, I am dressing up.   I am "Super Freak" inspired by dear, dear friend and sister in freakiness, Pam. If I were to dress up, I  would wear a superman t-shirt with a harlequin mini skirt, Hello Kitty tights, rainbow hair, bobble bug antenna, groovy 70s era glasses with implanted goofy eyes,  stripey socks and old school roller skates. Despite the warning that Edna Mode gives in The Incredibles, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68ndaZSKa8) I would definitely don a sparkly cape.  My theme music would be Super Freak and I would skate through the villages (on the imaginary paved road) waving to all the children throwing candy. That is my Halloween.

Thinking of a mug of hot spiced cider and a chilly Washington fall day where, for just once, the clothes don't stick to your body.  Happy Halloween Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is my second comment :) Thank you for another great post! Might you have any advice for applying for a job in early/primary art education in Ghana? I have a friend who would truly cherish this opportunity. My email is lim1290 at gmail. Thank you, happy holidays, and I look forward to hearing back soon!

    ReplyDelete